You can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain – ILR 10 years on the basis of long residence in the UK.
Migrants who have accumulated ten years continuous lawful residence in the UK, under any combination of UK visas, may qualify for ILR on 10 years basis.
An applicant will further need to show sufficient knowledge of English language at level B1 CEFR and pass Life in the UK test among other requirements for a successful application.
General Overview of ILR on 10 Years Basis
- General Overview of ILR on 10 Years Basis
- Requirements for ILR on 10 Years Basis Application
- When to Apply for 10 Years ILR?
- Documents Required for ILR 10 Years Application
- Time and Fees for ILR 10 Years Application
- Experienced Lawyers for ILR on 10 Years Basis
To apply for the ILR on long residence basis, you should have lived lawfully for 10 continuous years in the UK.
The rules are rather strict as to what accounts as a continuous lawful residence in the UK. You shouldn’t have spent more than 18 months in total outside the UK during this ten-year period. In addition, you must not have spent more than six months outside the UK on any one occasion.
In addition to the regular postal applications, the UKVI also offers premium service for the ILR 10 years applications. Applicants can book an appointment to apply using the premium service visa centre paying additional fees.
Applicants will also have to pass Life in the UK and English language tests, among other requirements for 10 years ILR application.
Requirements for ILR on 10 Years Basis Application
The applications for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) based on 10 years continuous lawful residence are complex in nature. You will need to fulfil several requirements to be eligible for the indefinite leave to remain after 10 years lawful stay.
You should have current leave to remain in one of the immigration categories to apply for the ILR. The eligibility requirements for the ILR on 10 years basis include;
- You should have lived lawfully in the UK for 10 continuous years (see more about 10 Years requirement)
- You must pass the Life in the UK Test and prove you have sufficient English language skills
- You shouldn’t have breached any immigration laws and maintained the terms of your UK visa
- Existing leave to remain in any UK immigration category
- No reasons with regards to public interest on why it would be undesirable to grant you ILR
Other factors such as your age, personal history, relations in the UK etc will also be considered for your suitability for ILR on the grounds of public interest reasons.
Continuous 10 Years lawful Residence
Applicants should have maintained 10 years of continuous lawful residence in the UK. You should have fulfilled continuous 10 years period by;
- Not being out of the UK for more than 18 months (540 days in total) during the 10 years period
- Maintained valid leave to remain status under any immigration category for the period
- Not being out of the UK for more than 6 months on any one occasion during the 10 years period
- Not left the UK during the 10 years period with a clear intention or evidence of not returning to the UK.
- You shouldn’t have left the UK within the relevant period having been refused leave to enter or remain
- Not have been removed or deported from the UK during the 10 years period
English Language Requirements for ILR 10 Years Basis
You can fulfil the English language requirements for ILR 10 years category by;
- With a speaking and listening qualification in at B1 level
- Qualification of Degree level that was taught or researched in English
- Original national of an English-speaking country
When to Apply for 10 Years ILR?
You should make an application for ILR before the expiry of your current leave to remain. You cannot apply more than 28 days before completing the qualifying period of continuous 10 years.
Your qualifying period for 10 years ILR starts from the visa date on which you entered the UK or the date you were granted permission to remain in the UK (if you didn’t enter the UK on a visa).
It’s very important to get the qualifying period right as your application will be refused if you make an early application without meeting the requirement. You will also lose the fees and will have to make a new application.
Documents Required for ILR 10 Years Application
The list of documents for a valid Indefinite Leave to Remain – ILR application can vary depending on your situation.
In general, you must submit the following documents for a valid ILR application on the basis of 10 years.
- Your current Passport or other valid travel ID
- BRP (biometric residence permit ), if you hold one
- Two identical passport size colour photographs
- Police registration certificate, if you have one
- Other supporting documents with the application
There can be several other documents that you might need to provide depending on your immigration status.
Besides, if your documents aren’t in English and Welsh, you should also submit certified English translations for all of them.
Time and Fees for ILR 10 Years Application
It usually takes up to 6 months for the UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) to make a decision on your application. This time can vary depending on your application circumstances.
You can choose to apply using the postal method or by using the Visa premium service centres. The application fees depend on the method you choose for the application.
|Type of Application||Fees|
|Applying by post in the UK||£2,389|
|Applying at a premium service centre||£3,189|
|Applying for Further Leave to Remain -|
Extension by post
Experienced Lawyers for ILR on 10 Years Basis
Edmans and Co have years of experience in making an application for ILR on 10 years basis. We regularly advise our clients for ILR long residence applications.
For more ILR categories, please refer to our complete guide to Indefinite Leave to Remain.
Our ILR 10 Years Services Review
If you need any legal assistance with your Indefinite Leave to Remain – ILR 10 Years application, please contact our London-based immigration lawyers on 020 7439 3000.
Book a consultation with one of our immigration experts so that we can carefully assess your case and advise you on how to make a successful indefinite leave to remain application.